Why is the MCU so beloved? Because we have been given 23 movies and two amazing series over thirteen years…and the ride isn’t ending anytime soon. I’ve been enthralled in this world since I was eleven-years-old, gazing wide-eyed at the screen as my parents would show me some scenes from Iron Man. At the time, he was my favorite superhero.
Now, all these years later, Doctor Strange is my favorite Marvel superhero and the MCU pretty much dominates my every day.
This franchise is wonderful for so many reasons but it also has some of the most memorable moments in recent blockbuster history. So today, I wanted to share what I think are the top ten most memorable moments in the MCU (and this includes even the Disney+ series.) Enjoy!
10. Wanda’s Iconic Credits Roll
WandaVision was filled with a bunch of interesting and memorable moments but the moment that stuck out to me in the entire series was when Wanda, during a tense moment with her husband Vision, began to roll the credits of her show on him as if to say goodnight.
It is so diva and I have loved it ever since I first saw it.
I wasn’t a Spider-Man fan…until this very moment. As Tom Holland’s Peter Parker flipped onto the screen in his brand new Spidey suit created by Tony Stark my mind was effectively blown.
8. “I Am Iron Man.”
There is no memorable-moments-in-the-MCU list without this. It set the stage for a franchise that wouldn’t be hampered by the traditional rules. Robert Downey Jr. paved the way for a bunch of stories that could be told with more realism and more heart by letting the world see these heroes as not just mysterious figures but as real people. Now, Peter Parker has joined the list of heroes whose true identity has been exposed and we’ll see how he handles that in Spider-Man: No Way Home.
7. Giant-Man Reveal
Ah, there was a time when I was totally ignorant to the MCU and its characters. Like Ant-Man for example. When his film came out I didn’t go grab a bunch of comics or start searching his whole character story on the internet. Instead, I sat back and let Marvel surprise me. And sure enough, I was surprised when I discovered that not only could Lang shrink to the size of an ant but he could also become a giant.
It was one of the most incredible superhero ability reveals I had ever seen and it utterly knocked my socks off when I first saw it. What a moment!
6. “Puny God.”
Before Thor: Ragnarok, The Hulk didn’t talk much…but he did have something to say after throwing Loki around like a rag doll in a scene that will go down as one of the most memorable moments in the MCU.
I still remember the shock I felt watching this in theaters. Shock followed by laughter of course.
5. Black Panther’s Debut
Captain America: Civil War is considered one of the best MCU movies for a reason. It’s got great action paired with a great emotional center that culminates in an epic conclusion. But the most epic moment in the entire film, to me, is when Black Panther first appears.
Back in 2016, when I first watched this movie, I had no idea that the African prince (played by the late Chadwick Boseman, RIP) we met at the Sokovia Accords was actually Black Panther. I thought the black-suited superhero was a guy from California, if I’m being honest. Basically, I thought he was what Killmonger turned out to be. So imagine my surprise when I truly discovered who Black Panther was, as a character.
In one fell swoop in the form of an epic action sequence I learned he had claws, a vibranium suit that could deflect bullets, fighting skills superior to Bucky, and he was as strong and fast as a super soldier. It was an incredible moment and the main reason why I have this at #5 on this list.
4. Thanos’ Snap
Did anyone go into Infinity War expecting Thanos to win and half of all life to be eradicated in the blink of an eye? I don’t think so. That’s what makes this moment so special. I didn’t see it coming. No one did.
It was horrifying watching so many fan favorites disintegrate before our very eyes and The Avengers couldn’t do anything about it. They lost, fair and square, and the entire galaxy had paid the price. So sad.
3. Cap Lifts Mjolnir
Want to know another iconic MCU moment that I don’t think anybody saw coming? Cap lifting Mjolnir. It was so shockingly brilliant with its buildup and delivery. I can still hear the theater going nuts as Captain America took on Thanos with lightning-wielding gusto. It was powerful and I loved every moment of it.
2. John Walker Kills the Flag Smasher
For so many years I had taken Steve Rogers’ handling of the shield for granted but it wasn’t until I saw John Walker use it as a violent weapon to take a man’s head off that I realized how important Steve, as a character, really was. The moment was, and still is, incredibly haunting, with the horror-like music Henry Jackman crafted for that particular scene sending extra chills down my spine every time.
In fact, it was with a recent viewing of that particular episode of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier that spurred me on to write this post
And #1: “Avengers Assemble!”
Have you ever watched a triumphant scene in a movie so incredible that it makes you cry? Well, that is my involuntary reaction to this scene every time I see it because it truly is that remarkable. Eleven years of hard work and dedication had led to what I can only describe as the most momentous moment in superhero history where literally over two dozen MCU characters got a chance to share the screen like something out of a comic book.
It was electrifying, it was emotionally rewarding, and it was a blast to see in a packed movie theater that couldn’t stop cheering as the battle against Thanos began.
Of course, one cannot do this type of post without including some honorable mentions:
- “That’s America’s Ass.”: Endgame gave us a lot of fun, memorable moments but nothing quite stuck like the “America’s ass” quote to describe Steve Rogers’ aesthetically pleasing backside. It got quite a laugh in theaters and will forever stick with me as one of Marvel’s funnier quips.
- Steve Rogers vs. The Winter Soldier on the Highway: There have been some great action scenes in the MCU…which is expected considering that these are SUPERHERO MOVIES but there is something undeniably riveting about seeing Rogers and The Winter Soldier duke it out one-on-one in the middle of a street. The choreography is stunning and it’s one of the few action scenes that allows us to see the characters actually begin to tire.
- Star-Lord’s Opening Moments: Guardians of the Galaxy starts pretty morbidly with Quill’s mother dying from cancer followed by him getting abducted by an alien craft. It’s a serious opening sequence and it remains that way as we see a helmeted man walking through ruins looking for…something. Everything changes, however, when Star-Lord’s helmet retracts, he puts on his headphones, and the music begins to play. Immediately the movie changes tone as Peter Quill dances to this joy-inducing song from the 70s’ and I can still remember the immense joy I felt watching that scene for the first time. What a film.
- And last but not least, there’s no way I wasn’t going to mention the scene in Spider-Man: Homecoming where we find out that Liz’s dad is actually The Vulture. Unfortunately, I got this epic surprise ruined by reading a review before watching the film and so while I will never get the initial shock it is still one of the best surprises in the MCU.
What is the most memorable momet in the MCU to you? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.
I thank you for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day.